The ceremony starts promptly at 9:00 a.m. Graduates must arrive by 8:00 a.m. After the ceremony, light refreshments will be served on the plaza in front of Zellerbach Hall. A flower vendor and a professional photographer will be at Zellerbach Hall. Guests are welcome to take photos and videos and bring their own flowers, gifts, and balloons so long as they do not block the view of other guests.
** Important Note: The deadline to register for participating in commencement has passed. If you have not registered, contact email@example.com asap. Graduates who are not registered on time will not have their names included in the printed commencement program.
Eligibility for Participation
All Graduate School of Education students who have completed their degree requirements in 2022 are eligible to participate in the Berkeley School of Education's commencement ceremony on Friday, May 20, 2022, starting at 9:00 a.m. at Zellerbach Hall.
Ticketing, Seating, Guest Information
- Graduates can purchase an unlimited number of guest tickets for $12 each while supplies last. Guests must present their ticket o gain admittance to Zellerbach Hall. Please note that graduates will enter Zellerbach Hall at 8:00 a.m. and ticketed guests will be welcomed to enter starting at 8:30 a.m. Guests who arrive late will be asked to quietly take their seats at the back so there is no disruption to the ceremony.
- Commencement tickets are available in limited supply. Tickets are $12 each. Purchase tickets via tickets.berkeley.edu, or by phone (510) 642-9988, or in person at the Zellerbach Hall Box Office during their business hours: Tuesday through Friday, 12 Noon to 5:30 p.m., Saturday and Sunday, 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Purchased tickets will be delivered by email only. Mail and will call delivery methods are not available. Students should email firstname.lastname@example.org if they have not received their e-tickets or if they have any general questions.
- All commencement ticket sales are final. No refunds, no exceptions.
- Disability accommodations for graduates and guests: If you or any of your guests require accommodations for disabilities (e.g., wheelchair seating, sign language interpreter, etc.), please contact email@example.com.
- Important note regarding seating at Zellerbach Hall: All seating is general admission, not reserved, and is offered on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Graduates will be seated at the front center section of the auditorium. PhD graduates will be seated on the stage alongside the faculty. Here is a short video on how the PhD faculty advisor will place each graduate’s hood over their head. The hooding of PhD graduates dates back to the 12th century and signifies the graduate’s new doctoral status. After the hooding, PhD graduates can forevermore use the honorific “Dr.” before their name, and “PhD” after their name.
Caps, Gowns, and Regalia
Graduates are responsible for providing their own regalia. Caps and gowns may be purchased from the Cal Student Store. For more information regarding caps and gowns, graduation announcements, and ordering yearbooks, please visit the Cal Student Store website or the brick-and-mortar store at 2495 Bancroft Way. Store hours are Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 6 p.m., Sunday 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Watch short videos on how to wear academic regalia on Berkeley Engineering's YouTube channel.
We recommend taking public transportation. Reserved parking is not available for commencement. If you choose to drive, please consult the campus map for directions. Parking may be available in campus parking lots on a first-come, first-served basis. You may also park in the surrounding city parking lots. Rates, hours, and restrictions may vary. Read all parking signs carefully.
The Graduate School of Education wants to make the commencement ceremony accessible for all graduates and guests. If you or friends/family members attending the ceremony require accommodations, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The campus Parking and Transportation Department's website offers information on accessible parking spots.
Professional photographers from GradImages Photo will photograph every graduate at the moment the scroll is given. For information about ordering photos, visit the GradImages website.
The names of degree candidates who register for commencement on time will be printed in the program. Upon request, a PDF version of the commencement program is available for download and printing.
Non-Graduating Students, and Staff
The Graduate School of Education's non-graduating students, and staff, are invited to attend commencement. Pick up a complimentary ticket at the Student Services Office on the 2nd floor of BWW, Monday through Thursday, 9:00 a.m. to Noon, and 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.